Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Run in with an SRT-4

My Cars
    1995 M3

Run in with an SRT-4

well today by chance my friends invite me to the hookah bar, since im leaving for school thursday. anyways, i get on the freeway and cruise for like 5 minutes, and i notice this red neon, which when i get closer realize is the srt4, well i pass and look at him for a lil, then mosey on down minding my own business. well he then gets in the car pool lane and passes me 80, and i think to myself lets play, i downshift to 4th and gun it to get next to him, idle a minute.
    then at the same time we go WOT, and then as im climbing in 4th im passing him and thn i shift to 5th at like 6300 rpm, and then from there on out, his front end is at my door for the rest of the time, i stopped cuz i hit traffic and didnt feel like being an ass to others on the road swerving , so he flys by, and i pass him up give him a wave ( not sure if he waved back) and go on about my business...
    fun run...and when i was finished i realized i had my A/C on full blast..haha
    1995 Alpine White M3 with a 3.2L 97 M3 engine
    OBDI w/ M50 Manifold, Strut Bar,Euro Ellipsiods, 8000K HID System, 18" Simmons Wheels, AA Track Pipe, AA DTM Exhaust, RD Sport Suspension, Bilstein Shocks,12" JL Sub, Indiglo Gauges...

My Cars
    97 BMW M3, 08 VW Rabbit S
    its a kill, but i was expecting more than just a half car length especially on freeway..

My Cars
    M5
    modded srt's are not to be underestimated. they can beat an e36 m3 fairly easily. i raced one in my e39 M5 and he kept up with me. i was completely shocked.

My Cars
    Model T
    He was probably slightly modded to keep up with you at high speeds. No shame losing to them, there fast little buggers.

My Cars
    '98 Acura CL
    Flawless does not lie. Those cars with precious little work are holy terrors. I dont know how many of you have seen these things in action on the dyno and at the track, but its damn impressive. Stock they'll do 230+ whp and about that much tq. The graph looks like a smallish V8, almost no lag time. To be honest, stock for stock I'd put my money on the srt vs an E36 M3. THeres a few of them around here that are nasty. One imparticular thats out of another shop im friends with here in Charlotte, its mopar Stg II and then some. It traps faster than i do in the 1/4.
    '02 Z28 NBM 1SC "Stripper" car; bolts ons, Hooker Jet Hot coated longtubes, TSP true duals, 3.73 gear, NX wet kit, tuning and a set of Corbeau TRS's / Corbeau 5 point harnesses with cam-lock release.

Times: 8.4 @ 87.3 2.016 60 ft. (all motor/street tires)

Dyno: 352/367 hp/tq corrrected (all motor)

R.I.P 8/3/05

Acura CL black on black, gets 28 mpg, and slow as the day is long.

My Cars
    1991 Eclipse GSX
    At the philly street races those things are beating alot of cars..but never an M
    1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 400awhp

My Cars
    328CI
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxdcy
    At the philly street races those things are beating alot of cars..but never an M

LOL! You haven't met one that could yet then ?

My Cars
    '98 Acura CL
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxdcy
    Its only a matter of time my friend. These cars run 13.9 @ 102 stock with a decent driver and some track prep. Ive never seen an M trap that speed, and they rarely make that et stock. Dont get me wrong, Id much rather have the M, any day, but just for strait line acceleration, the SRT is very stout.
    '02 Z28 NBM 1SC "Stripper" car; bolts ons, Hooker Jet Hot coated longtubes, TSP true duals, 3.73 gear, NX wet kit, tuning and a set of Corbeau TRS's / Corbeau 5 point harnesses with cam-lock release.

R.I.P 8/3/05

My Cars
    2004 steel blue 330CI
    nice kill with a nice car

you should had turn the AC off and show him what true M/// power is like

My Cars
    '15 GLA 45
    Quote Originally Posted by PHATNA-Z
    Flawless does not lie. Those cars with precious little work are holy terrors. I dont know how many of you have seen these things in action on the dyno and at the track, but its damn impressive. Stock they'll do 230+ whp and about that much tq. The graph looks like a smallish V8, almost no lag time. To be honest, stock for stock I'd put my money on the srt vs an E36 M3. THeres a few of them around here that are nasty. One imparticular thats out of another shop im friends with here in Charlotte, its mopar Stg II and then some. It traps faster than i do in the 1/4.
    They're very underrated from the factory. Seeing 230whp on a bone stock SRT-4 is very normal, but torque is usually closer to 250wtq or 260wtq. Turbos create great lowend because of all that backpressure. If Dodge measured HP/TQ on this car like other auto manufacturers do it'd probably be around 265hp and 285tq.

well today by chance my friends invite me to the hookah bar, since im leaving for school thursday. anyways, i get on the freeway and cruise for like 5 minutes, and i notice this red neon, which when i get closer realize is the srt4, well i pass and look at him for a lil, then mosey on down minding my own business. well he then gets in the car pool lane and passes me 80, and i think to myself lets play, i downshift to 4th and gun it to get next to him, idle a minute.
    then at the same time we go WOT, and then as im climbing in 4th im passing him and thn i shift to 5th at like 6300 rpm, and then from there on out, his front end is at my door for the rest of the time, i stopped cuz i hit traffic and didnt feel like being an ass to others on the road swerving , so he flys by, and i pass him up give him a wave ( not sure if he waved back) and go on about my business...
    fun run...and when i was finished i realized i had my A/C on full blast..haha
    Nice kill. The highway is normally where an SRT-4 shines. What kind of power and 1/4 mile times is your car doing?

My Cars
    328is/ 94 325 vert 5 speed
    what else did dodge do to create more power on the srt4 besides slap on a turbo? cause doesnt a stock neon only put out like 134 hp? to get that much more power they had to have changed cams / header/ something...
    96 328is: eurospeed M50 intake manifold with AA M50 Manifold software
    rogue eng. pullies
    ecis cai
    M3 exhaust
    M3 rear spoiler
    5 spoke ROH's 235/40/17front 245/40/17rear
    UUC clutch stop
    motorsport X Brace

94 325- 5 speed
    borla exhaust
    96+ side skirts
    zender front air dam
    97+ nose panel

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Steiner
    Nice kill. The highway is normally where an SRT-4 shines. What kind of power and 1/4 mile times is your car doing?
    Not to sure about power, but id have to take a guess round 270 region for HP
    but im not sure cuz ive never dynoed it, or taken it to a track ...yet
    OBDI w/ M50 Manifold, Strut Bar,Euro Ellipsiods, 8000K HID System, 18" Simmons Wheels, AA Track Pipe, AA DTM Exhaust, RD Sport Suspension, Bilstein Shocks,12" JL Sub, Indiglo Gauges...

My Cars
    '98 Acura CL
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 is man
    what else did dodge do to create more power on the srt4 besides slap on a turbo? cause doesnt a stock neon only put out like 134 hp? to get that much more power they had to have changed cams / header/ something...

Fully forged bottom end, good head, good cams, a strait pipe for an exhaust, 8.5-1 CR, ~14 psi. That ought to do it.

R.I.P 8/3/05

My Cars
    1974 2002 and 1989 M3
    Well, I only have an e30 M3, but my best friend has a slightly modded SRT-4 and it is much faster than anyone would think. He has only Stage 2, which is computer remapping and injectors, along with a bunch of Home Depot type things done and with slicks he is running 12.90's or so. Without the slicks his best time was 13.21, and he weighs over 300 pounds!!! Also, the highway is where his car shines, so dont expect to be blowing any doors off without serious mods. Still love and respect the M3 many times more, its just too bad that a car thats under $21,000 (with mods) can beat one, at least in a straight line.

My Cars
    i raced srt-4 at 8th mile drag, the guy even had slicks on it, it was modded, and i beat him by about 2 car lengths, which is a good gap on such short track.. i had the video up a while back, not sure if that thread still has that video, but after racing him, (my m3 is auto on top of that) i would never think that srt-4s are all that like people talk about them.. the other day some guy blew off on me in his black srt-4 and i just laughed at him and shook my head..

My Cars
    2003 325i
    What mods do you have????
    2003 325i
    PERFORMANCE/SUSPENSION= Dinan stage 1 and 2 software, UUC underdrive pullies, X3-racing CAI
    EXTERIOR=5% Tint, hamann eyelids, Eurolite halogens, stickers,
    THE NEED FOR A MUCH FASTER CAR!!!!!! :

My Cars
    '15 GLA 45
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 is man
    I'm probably not the best guy to answer this question but I'll take a stab anyways. The normal Neons come with a SOHC 2.0L I4 (non turbo) in two flavors...135hp and 150hp Magnum.

The 2.4L turbo in the SRT-4 was originally brought to the US from Mexico (they've had a 2.4L turbo Dodge Stratus down there since '99) so the PT Cruiser could finally have some balls. When PVO/SRT got their hands on it they simply built it up like a brick $hit house, rather than nickle and dime it, because they had a quickly approaching deadline.

Here's a really in-depth article Sport Compact Car did on the engine...

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...0scc_projneon/

An article Hot Rod magazine did...

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...srt/index.html

Here's a great article by a performance shop that has a project SRT-4 and manufacters and sells aftermarket parts for the car...

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/srt4_faq.htm

Quote Originally Posted by e36m3 858
    ...the other day some guy blew off on me in his black srt-4 and i just laughed at him and shook my head...
    Funny. That was my same reaction after reading this post.
    Last edited by Steiner; 09-01-2004 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    '98 Acura CL
    Quote Originally Posted by e36m3_858
    i raced srt-4 at 8th mile drag, the guy even had slicks on it, it was modded, and i beat him by about 2 car lengths, which is a good gap on such short track.. i had the video up a while back, not sure if that thread still has that video, but after racing him, (my m3 is auto on top of that) i would never think that srt-4s are all that like people talk about them.. the other day some guy blew off on me in his black srt-4 and i just laughed at him and shook my head..
    First, 1/8 mi is a strong point for an E36 M3. They pull hard on the bottom end. Second, you beat a driver. Bottom line, stock for stock the cars are, at best (from the BMWs perspective anyhow), dead-nuts even. Im a big BMW fan, especially the M cars, but ive raced both of these cars and Im telling you, the SRT gets the nod here. I watched one at Tuner Bash in Daytona earlier this year lay down 419 whp, stock bottom end. Dude said he had about $4k in mods. Go figure.

R.I.P 8/3/05

My Cars
    E36Eurospec|E30Track
    nice!

My Cars
    R53
    Quote Originally Posted by PHATNA-Z
    First, 1/8 mi is a strong point for an E36 M3. They pull hard on the bottom end. Second, you beat a driver. Bottom line, stock for stock the cars are, at best (from the BMWs perspective anyhow), dead-nuts even. Im a big BMW fan, especially the M cars, but ive raced both of these cars and Im telling you, the SRT gets the nod here. I watched one at Tuner Bash in Daytona earlier this year lay down 419 whp, stock bottom end. Dude said he had about $4k in mods. Go figure.
    but who would ever want an SRT? i mean... im not trying to brag or anything but... isn't it a Neon after all? I mean.. yea it's a helluva lot faster than the standard Neon but both cars are based on the same blueprint. aren't they? like the M3 and 3 series... dont get me wrong tho, those 4-bangers are surprisingly quick... but i would never want one..

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    The SRT-4 shouldnt be underestimated. I like the prospect of factory turbo cars, and with little money these can be fast as hell. I am almost positive that one with money put in it would waste 90% of M3's in a straight line.

The new ones even come with a factory limited slip, so they may actually hook up! Either way, the styling is not something I dig. At all.

My Cars
    1991 Eclipse GSX
    Quote Originally Posted by shmoo
    LOL! You haven't met one that could yet then ?
    haha i guess not if they beat my M3, ill just get my eclipse...its nice to have an all wheel drive turbo car has a back up plan
    1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 400awhp

My Cars
    personally if i owned srt-4 i would off road/rally the shit out of it..

My Cars
    330ci
    hmmmm are you sure he was racing... J/K

what do you have in your car?????

stock SRT4's if driven correctly are fast....

honestly they are fast 4 bangers.

Cat

My Cars
    1995 M3
    everything i have on my car is in my sig, if u were asking the question towards me.
    peace
    -Dan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast