Thread: XS-Power eBay intercooler .. Quality: Not bad!

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH

Thumbs up XS-Power eBay intercooler .. Quality: Not bad!

FINALLY I've actually gotten the feeling that I'm getting somewhere on this project - rather than having parts collecting on my desk.

So yeah, I took a chance and eBayed myself an intercooler - some company called XS-Power (www.xs-power.com) only to find out that they're really SSAUTOCRAP IN DISGUISE!!! So I feared the worst, but then I figured - hey its big enough that if it flows at all, I'm pretty sure I won't really care ... (Dimensions ~24x12x3 - or 600x300x76mm)

However, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality! Hey, I guess it is pretty hard to screw an intercooler up after all .. Anyhow, I'm in the middle of "modifying" the bumper hangers right now ... Tomorrow I'll see what I can dream up for hanging it - any pics/suggestions of your fabrications are welcome!

The driver's side hanger wasn't so bad .. but I've come to realize the passenger side hanger is a bit more of a pain in the butt, because of tow hook mount (it doesn't just easily swing around like the drivers side did). So I'm either just going to attempt to sawz-all it from under the car on jackstands or unbolt it from the back (probably the smarter way lol).

Anyhow - here's a couple pics .. (apologies for the coke promo, all you pepsi drinkers :P its the only thing i could find that set the intercooler at nearly the right level)

Last edited by S0nik; 07-27-2005 at 08:30 PM.

2001 E46 M3 SC ESS VT2-525 with pretty much everything else done
    2009 E90 335i xDrive (Daily) with JB4 and DCI
    1995 E36 M3 (indefinite hiberation) with Garage-Built Hodgepodge Turbo and more mods than I can remember anymore; 415whp/371wtq @ 12psi
    2000 E39 M5 (sadly gone; traded in for 335) with Magnaflow exhaust that I miss the most and would buy another in a heartbeat

My Cars
    red poopbox
    i bet its gonna fall apart just like their turbos..... if anyone has seen the honda-tech threads, you'll know what i'm talking about

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

My Cars
    Acura for now :(
    This intercooler is made by a single company and rebadged for other companies. XS Power, Hybrid, XO2, others. They sell for about $200 shipped and you can't beat it. I have used 2 of them and they both held up great. Great quality welds, nice bar and plate; cannot beat the price or quality if you ask me. It's a tad overkill unless you're making 450whp+ probably, but fills up a front bumper opening nicely..heh.

Nick

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    Yeah, I know SSAutocrap has one of the worst reputations ever, but I wasn't too worried about the intercooler quality, as there are no real moving parts and really all that could happen is the endtank welds breaking - but they seem pretty quality. And being that it is bar and plate - I'm sure it will flow just fine - and surely with the size I picked, if it flows at all I'm sure it will get the job done.

1995 E36 M3 (indefinite hiberation) with Garage-Built Hodgepodge Turbo and more mods than I can remember anymore; 415whp/371wtq @ 12psi
    2000 E39 M5 (sadly gone; traded in for 335) with Magnaflow exhaust that I miss the most and would buy another in a heartbeat

My Cars
    Fiat 126p
    Can you take a picture of internal fins?

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    Quote Originally Posted by dom
    Can you take a picture of internal fins?
    Yeah, I'll post a pic of the core when I get home from work

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Hey trey! Nice to see the project moving along. Give me a ring if you need anyhelp during install

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 Turbo

XS intercooler

I love mine fills the grill area completley. My mechanic made custom side and top brackets and a stainless steel mesh grill cover for the front and brake grills. Real clean look. I can't post pics yet but I love the way it looks. My custom kit is ms=aking 367rwh and 344rwt.
    ArtmanM3
    98 convertible M3 custom turboed

My Cars
    jag xk8
    Quote Originally Posted by orijinal poser
    i bet its gonna fall apart just like their turbos..... if anyone has seen the honda-tech threads, you'll know what i'm talking about
    Interesting. I have a friend with an XS Celica turbo kit. Hes had it over a year with no real problems. got any links?

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    That intercooler is huge. What are you talking about what you are going to cut out? Those 2 brackets on the car in the pic, you dont cut that. You just have to loosen the nut that is under it and it will pivot one way or the other.

Looks like your project is coming along.

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    Quote Originally Posted by guc32
    That intercooler is huge. What are you talking about what you are going to cut out? Those 2 brackets on the car in the pic, you dont cut that. You just have to loosen the nut that is under it and it will pivot one way or the other.

Looks like your project is coming along.
    Yeah it was alot bigger than I thought it was going to be lol - I mean I measured it and it didn't SEEM like it would be that big when I had the tape measure out - but I guess its one of those things you just have to actually see. Measuring the actual product, it is the dimensions they claimed, so /shrug whatever heh. I think further down the line I might see about getting ahold of a custom front valence to take advantage of all of the surface area of the intercooler instead of just half of it ..

The 2 brackets - all I did to make it fit is cut out PART of the bracket - maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I tried to fit the intercooler behind the brackets, it was too thick (unless I were to delete the front radiator fan) - i'll go take a couple pics to show you what i'm talking about ... and get a pic of the core too, for those who want to see it
    Last edited by S0nik; 07-28-2005 at 06:23 PM.

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    BEFORE: PASSENGER SIDE - Here's what I did - basically just cut along the yellow line (but this is passenger side and because of the tow hook mount it doesn't swivel as nicely, I will have to take the bracket off to do the same modification to this side)

AFTER: DRIVER SIDE (yeah I know its a really bad looking cut, but it did the job - I was a virgin to the sawz-all prior to this )

Here's pics of the core - for those interested:

Last edited by S0nik; 07-28-2005 at 06:25 PM.

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    Quote Originally Posted by artmanm3
    I love mine fills the grill area completley. My mechanic made custom side and top brackets and a stainless steel mesh grill cover for the front and brake grills. Real clean look. I can't post pics yet but I love the way it looks. My custom kit is ms=aking 367rwh and 344rwt.
    Get some pics ASAP I'd love to see it- sounds nice. Stock internals? How much boost / what turbo? DETAILS MAN!!

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    Whoa. I dont know if cutting those mounts would hurt anything. When people mount behind those brackets, we usually remove the AUX fan and put a slim line fan in there.

Damn that looks like a great intercooler.

My Cars
    84 318i and 93 325i<DEAD :(
    Im running same cooler on my e30 turbo.

My Cars
    Things that go PSHHH
    Quote Originally Posted by guc32
    Whoa. I dont know if cutting those mounts would hurt anything. When people mount behind those brackets, we usually remove the AUX fan and put a slim line fan in there.

Damn that looks like a great intercooler.
    Thanks man Like I said, I'm VERY pleased with what I got at the price I got it

and denisbmwm5 - your e30 turbo is amazing looking - someday I hope to have an e30 as a project turbo car.

My Cars
    red poopbox
    Quote Originally Posted by taytay
    Interesting. I have a friend with an XS Celica turbo kit. Hes had it over a year with no real problems. got any links?
    found it : http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1097918

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

My Cars
    84 318i and 93 325i<DEAD :(
    Quote Originally Posted by S0nik
    Thanks man Like I said, I'm VERY pleased with what I got at the price I got it

and denisbmwm5 - your e30 turbo is amazing looking - someday I hope to have an e30 as a project turbo car.
    Thanks man your e36 is fucking hott also

My Cars
    Fiat 126p
    I can't see very well, but how dense are those fins? I haven't seen one personally but others told me it's just one long extrusion for the fins (fins align in straight line). Thing has no pressure drop and it doesn't cool worth dickens! If any one is looking for intercooler I would recommend PTE. Core is very dense and it has cast aluminium tanks. I was on a dyno a week ago and intake temp at the manifold was 110*F, mostly because manifold was heat soaked. Pretty impressive if you ask me cosidering small fans they were using.