Thread: Crank Position Sensor, where is at?

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4

Crank Position Sensor, where is at?

I am having the hardest time finding the sucker. Is it under the vanos cover? Also can someone ohm pins 1 and 2 on the connector and tell me what they get before I run out an buy one for $129? The Bentley is showing 1.2k ohms. Mine (if I have the right connector) is at 560ohms.

thanks

on 93 325is m50 vanos
    Last edited by SecretAznSauce; 04-20-2004 at 04:11 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    i dont think we have one.

My Cars
    2015 Tacoma, '86 951
    The sensor itself is hovering around the front crank pulley, I believe it works like a magnetic pulse generator *ignition* and feeds an a/c sine wave to the dme to tell where the crank is at. It plugs in just below the intake manifold in an identical type connector as the camshaft position sensor.
    Retired Track E36
    Jet Black 2012 328i

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
    The sensor itself is hovering around the front crank pulley, I believe it works like a magnetic pulse generator *ignition* and feeds an a/c sine wave to the dme to tell where the crank is at. It plugs in just below the intake manifold in an identical type connector as the camshaft position sensor.

Allen you are right again, but I still cant locate this damn thing. Do you know the ohmage on the Cam sensor? not sure if I hit the right connector

My Cars
    1997 328i
    when i had my crank pulley put on. on the old pulley i noticed a huge toothed sprocket attached to the crank pulley. it had a hole through it as if there was a position sensor. similar to the early models. however there was nothing there just a hole.