Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 sec E30?

My Cars
    88 951, 96 LR Disco

12 sec E30?

What would be the best way to get a E30 running 11s in the 1/4 mile? I was thinking of turboing a 325i because its a iron block so it should be strong. I figure I would need like at least 300whp. Then with things like suspension, tires and lsd I think I would hit high 11s. And also I would do some weight reduction to to help me reach my mark. So what do you guys think? How would you do it? Maybe engine swap, M3 ect...?

My Cars
    E30
    There is a guy here, BimmerJim, that has a turbo 325 and it is running 11's I THINK. Might have been 12's. Its a pretty sweet setup so look to him for information.

My Cars
    00xp race ski, 08 750il
    ditch the m20 and get an engine that flows betting like a m50 variant and turbo that, also some major rear end reworking so you can fit slicks and not brake your axles ect.. i was working down into the 12's in my car and snaped an axel on my launch with some bfg drag radials on and i only have a na s50 in it so with some decent power things go wrong realy realy quick. also gearing will help alot, although some have had good sucess with the m20 the limits of the engine are alot lower then a m50 style engine with double the valves have not been reached by many yet.
    Cars sold now
    #150 WC emra
    andrew vovou

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    SOme people would say , "Buy a Mustang," but I appreciate what you are doing or trying to do,

Every freakin turbo kit Ive seen out their for an M20 or M30 sucks.

Buy a tig, a box of bends, a book on turbos, and go to work

You want a nice, engineered header and intercooler system

The thing about current BMW turbo kits, is they get you a little more than any other mod, so people rave about them. with its very good headflow, an m20 should destriy the 302's record of 240% power gain on a stock motor

this would be: 2.4*170=408 Flywheel, at least 350 wheel
    ITS ALIVE

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A 468

My Cars
    The Bimma.
    Yeah, bimmerjim ran a 12.1 with slicks.
    He has like 270hp or somthing like that..
    The guy launches at like 5k and hasn't broken anything btw.

Bimmerjim.com

My Cars
    89 325is, BgBors bro Fi'd M42
    Quote Originally Posted by vodomagoo
    ditch the m20 and get an engine that flows betting like a m50 variant and turbo that, also some major rear end reworking so you can fit slicks and not brake your axles ect.. i was working down into the 12's in my car and snaped an axel on my launch with some bfg drag radials on and i only have a na s50 in it so with some decent power things go wrong realy realy quick. also gearing will help alot, although some have had good sucess with the m20 the limits of the engine are alot lower then a m50 style engine with double the valves have not been reached by many yet.
    I've heard the m20 is stronger.. 12v m20 has less things to break.. But check out e30tech.com there's a couple guys pushing 300hp with stock internals and drivetrain.

My Cars
    00xp race ski, 08 750il
    hes lucky, i have around 250 to the ground and distroyed a half shaft at the cv joint and twisted the inner cup that goes into the diff with only drag radials
    Cars sold now
    #150 WC emra
    andrew vovou

My Cars
    1991 318i and Evo II GSR
    We're starting a build on an E30 slated to have about 450whp this week coming. I'll keep you guys posted. It may be the fastest in the country when it's done but we have no intentions of drag racing it.

Alex
    Dent Sport Garage

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    go to http://www.proturbo.fi/ and check the manifolds for a turbo (around 600 bucks) and with a T3/T4 or Holset plus a chip and bigger injectors you can get 300hp from the M20. The stock bottom end and block can take some serious power. I seen some in finland and sweden pushing more than 350hp, plenty for an E30
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    88 951, 96 LR Disco
    Well my friend just got a 1990 325i with a rebuilt motor with like only 600 miles on it. He is going for the same goal as me so we are thinking of taking different paths and see who ends up the fastest. He wants big to go big... like twin turbo big. I dont know what im going do. Well I guess get a E30 first But after that im either going to keep the M20 and go single turbo or swap it for something...

Whats a M50? Is that the E36 325i engine?

My Cars
    07 X5, 02 325iT
    Yes, the 2.5 Liter M50 was in the 325i, and the 3.0 liter M50 was in the '95 US M3.

BMW CCA Member #480924

My Cars
    E30 332iS
    Quote Originally Posted by 323I Junkie
    with its very good headflow, an m20 should destriy the 302's record of 240% power gain on a stock motor
    Just to let you know, the M20 is known for natoriously horrible head flow. As a matter of fact, it's the motor's well known weakest point.

My Cars
    95 eclipse gsx, 88 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
    We're starting a build on an E30 slated to have about 450whp this week coming. I'll keep you guys posted. It may be the fastest in the country when it's done but we have no intentions of drag racing it.
    sounds fun, i may have to go up and check it out some time. i have intentions of the 400-500whp in the future. i was originally gonna screw with a pair of gt28r turbos, but the exhaust for the front turbo would have been an issue i didn't want to bother with at this point. so i'm looking at a gt3071 on a stock manifold adapter until i feel like fabbing a tubular t4 manifold.

the two things i was worried about were the toothpick-like axles and the headgasket. i'm still looking for an mls head gasket for the m20.

My Cars
    89 325is, 89 BMW 525i, 0
    Turbo the M20 or get an S38 and turbo it(stupid idea). S50 swaps aren't unique anymore. It would be like driving a Civic...

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    Quote Originally Posted by C ///M
    Just to let you know, the M20 is known for natoriously horrible head flow. As a matter of fact, it's the motor's well known weakest point.
    Youve obviously never flowed a 302 head. Their efficiency is below 50%They suck so bad, for years, people were putting on 351W heads and even 351C/400C heads with custom pistons. With the advent of CNC, and Trick FLow, all of a sudden, GT owners had a reason to live

If yopu take the mass flow equations and work them backwayrds, there is no way the 2.5, 170 hoirse engine is THAT bad. for instnace, if you take the old 100h/ci theory for single cam engines, the 2.5 should be making 153 horses

So its already WAY up there onthe single cam efificnecy chart. Te 100 h/liter thing came about with CC cam phasing, manifold phasing, and 4/5 valves/cyl configurations
    ITS ALIVE

My Cars
    '71 & '74 VW Karmann Ghia, '87 325

The thing about current BMW turbo kits, is they get you a little more than any other mod, so people rave about them. with its very good headflow, an m20 should destriy the 302's record of 240% power gain on a stock motor

240% power gain with turbo? you would have to put in AT LEAST 35.3 PSI of boost. not likely. or at least not likely for long.
    i win.

for sale: es front spoiler with mounting stuff. pm for details

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    Ah, so it would seem, but the power gain from a tubo is not linear with its increasein atmospheric pressure, that not hte way the airflow through the engine behaves. At pressure, flow ratios and rates through the induciton and exhaust system become different. I used to beleive that duoble atmosphere equal double horsepower, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt. It all depends on A: how efficient the engine is to begin with,
    B: where the innefficieny lies
    C:How the turbo system is created.

The first time I saw a mustang LX go from 190 RWHP to 475, I was blown away
    ITS ALIVE

My Cars
    E30 332iS
    Youve obviously never flowed a 302 head. Their efficiency is below 50%They suck so bad, for years, people were putting on 351W heads and even 351C/400C heads with custom pistons. With the advent of CNC, and Trick FLow, all of a sudden, GT owners had a reason to live

If yopu take the mass flow equations and work them backwayrds, there is no way the 2.5, 170 hoirse engine is THAT bad. for instnace, if you take the old 100h/ci theory for single cam engines, the 2.5 should be making 153 horses

So its already WAY up there onthe single cam efificnecy chart. Te 100 h/liter thing came about with CC cam phasing, manifold phasing, and 4/5 valves/cyl configurations
    So you know, I did a comparison with BMW engines. The m20 head, compared to other bmw engines, has terrible head flow, and is known in the e30 world as one of the M20s greatest limiting factors.

I have never flowed a 302 head and know nothing about the other engines you posted, but then again, this is a bmw forum, and I know where the m20 stands in the bmw world.

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    It wasnt an attack

And the head is always the limiting factor in any engine, unless its a B18 honda or something
    ITS ALIVE

My Cars
    88 951, 96 LR Disco
    So im confused, is the M20 a good BMW platform to turbo or no? Could you put better heads on the M20? Would the M50 be a better choice? If so then I would just find a E36 cause there only a little more expensive around here. Also what does the 3.0 liter E36 engine go for price wise? Would it be a good turbo platform?

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/

They are in Suffield CT. The E30 makes 296 hp TQ I forgot figure.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/vie...123&highlight=

"Sorry, I don't have the graph yet. It was 82F during the run. Car was running 14.5psi Intercooled and made 290rwhp @ 5800rpm and 300rwtq @ 4200rpm. Car is running beautifully. A little more tinkering and we should be able to get to 16/17psi and about 315rwhp.

All numbers are SAE corrected."

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_news_001.htm

My Cars
    88 951, 96 LR Disco
    So those kits are good for about 300hp? Are there kits a good deal or would I better off buying some stuff from them like manifold and assembly stuff and then getting the turbo, intercooler...ect else where?

My Cars
    88 M3's, 90 325i, 95 M3
    Sold only as a kit. Reason why is there devolopment time into the system. 300hp is a reliable numbers.

My Cars
    00xp race ski, 08 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekDriver
    Turbo the M20 or get an S38 and turbo it(stupid idea). S50 swaps aren't unique anymore. It would be like driving a Civic...
    it might not be unique when ur on message boards and alot of the people that have done the swap are on the boards nowadays but in actualilty there are not many of them running around in the big picture, even though the s38 would be crazy size and weight of it kill the car
    Cars sold now
    #150 WC emra
    andrew vovou

My Cars
    '71 & '74 VW Karmann Ghia, '87 325
    Ah, so it would seem, but the power gain from a tubo is not linear with its increasein atmospheric pressure, that not hte way the airflow through the engine behaves. At pressure, flow ratios and rates through the induciton and exhaust system become different. I used to beleive that duoble atmosphere equal double horsepower, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt. It all depends on A: how efficient the engine is to begin with,
    B: where the innefficieny lies
    C:How the turbo system is created.

The first time I saw a mustang LX go from 190 RWHP to 475, I was blown away
    i don't want to get in a pissing match, but i don't believe it. a mustang v8 making 190 hp is probably detuned and underrated to begin with. there must be other variables and changes coming into play. adding a turbo also adds an exhaust restriction, and preheats the air coming into the engine. doubling hp with doubled pressure is an ideal. those restrictions pretty much prevent that from happening unless you do other things like improve the exhaust after the turbo, make the pre-turbo intake as good as possible, improve fuel/timing, whatever.

read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. and look at turbo setups from the various m20 turbo people. nobody's making 450 hp with 15 psi on an otherwise stock m20.
    i win.

for sale: es front spoiler with mounting stuff. pm for details

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast