Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK, I just Dyed my front seats and Armrests using Leathermagic and... PICS/WRITE-UP

My Cars
    vhg

Thumbs up OK, I just Dyed my front seats and Armrests using Leathermagic and... PICS/WRITE-UP

It came out great. Let me begin by saying the kit was purchased through Leathermagic and comes with the Dye, Cleaning Prep solution, Latex Golves, Conditioner, small 220 grit sandpaper, areosole type can if you want to spray the dye on but it is very small, wedge type applicator as well as very nicely detailed instructions. Not bad for a little over $40. My seats are Dove Grey so for those with Dove Grey seats, I found their Light Silver Nappa matches a whole lot better then the Dove Gray color they also sell. Their Dove Gray is way to dark.

So let's move on first to the writeup and then follow with some before and after pics. Now let me state that I did not remove the seats, only tilted the back part as far as it would go down.

I highly recommend doing this in a lint free environment in your own garage where your not obstructiing another car or if you live in apartment, do it in your designated spot as the last thing you need is to do it somewhere else and then realize you can't sit in your seat for the next few days while the dye is curing.

Things you will need:
    Large garbage bags or newspaper to cover surrounding areas
    Additional sheets of both 220 and 1000 grit sandpaper
    Woolite for cleaning seats (6 parts Water, 1 part Woolite)
    Mr. Clean Magic erasers also for cleaning, it works wonders
    Soft or Medium soft toothbrush for hard to reach areas when you clean
    Towels for any slippage of material etc..
    Spray bottle of clean warm water
    Spray Bottle of mild soap with water
    Some type of dye applicator, I used those wedge type ones with the handle
    Terry Cloth Applicator pad/sponge

Now onto the steps: - I waited till it was a sunny warm day, 90 degrees with o humidity
    1. Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum. especially in the crevices, use a small firm painting brush in crevices if needed to remove all dirt particles.
    2. Clean areas where you are dying the leather with Woolite first the follow up with Mr. Clean magic Eraser and the spray bottle with water and soap mixture. If you want to use some other cleaners, by all means..
    3. Wait an hour for leather to dry out.
    4. Wearing the latex gloves, apply the Leather prep with the applicator spong on seat, you will notice some of the color fading away, that's a good thing.
    5. Wait an hour to dry
    6. Start sanding with the 220 grit sandpaper but VERY lightly and make sure to be careful around the seams.
    7. Wipe down seat to remove sandpaper residue with a damp cloth. Use the clean water, NOT the one with soap.
    8. Wait an hour
    9. Time for applying the dye, brush in light coats to avoide streaking and wait at least a half hour to dry, depending on how how it is outside of course. Keep add a few more light coats until you are satisified, waiting for each coat to dry.
    10. Wait a few days and then apply some conditioner like Lexol or Leatherique. The kit also comes with condditioner which has a leathery smell but is very small.

In some areas I applied a bit too much dye and they seams are somewhat covered up but hey, it was my first try.

Anyways, I am sure I be missing something here but if it comes to me, i'll edit the post.

Onto the pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    vhg
    ArmRests:

My Cars
    vhg
    Bigger View:

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    Thats Extremely Nice.
    IT came out mint like factory.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Wow! That looks fantastic!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    81 323i
    wow that looks so much better. nice job
    -Josh

My Cars
    tank
    great write up....damm... great job man

My Cars
    1990 535i - 5spd
    Whoa
    Thats hot...
    1990 535i

:17" Style 42 Replicas wrapped in BF-Goodrich g-Force sports:H&R Drop:
    :Bilstien Sports:RD Sways:EAT Ultra Chip:Z3 1.9l SSK
    Pictures courtesy of sachin

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    great write up....damn....I just ordered Dove grey...how bad is the match...is it worth sending back for the light silver nappa?

edit: I just went and checked on the website, what number is the dye you ordered?

thanks
    Last edited by e36'n; 07-25-2005 at 12:15 PM.

My Cars
    vhg
    Quote Originally Posted by e36'n
    great write up....damn....I just ordered Dove grey...how bad is the match...is it worth sending back for the light silver nappa?
    Thanks for the nice comments guys. ^^ Top is their Dove Gray, Bottom is underside of my Dove Gray armrest...

Quote Originally Posted by e36'n
    edit: I just went and checked on the website, what number is the dye you ordered?

thanks
    BMW438N

My Cars
    Looking......
    did you not need to fill the cracks in? the dye just does it? isn't there a filler? my seats look like yours and if i dn't need the filler that is great. i need to order now

My Cars
    Looking......
    also, do you have a link to the kit you bought?

My Cars
    vhg
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotunerwerks
    did you not need to fill the cracks in? the dye just does it? isn't there a filler? my seats look like yours and if i dn't need the filler that is great. i need to order now
    I suppose some filler would have helped, though I said in the write up to lightly sand, my seat needed a bit more sanding to get it somewhat even uniform level. Overall, you can barely see faint shadows of some crack here and there but unless you really look close, it's not visible.

Quote Originally Posted by eurotunerwerks
    also, do you have a link to the kit you bought?
    First kit you see on the page..
    http://www.leathermagic.com/Secure/e...log.asp?prdc=4

My Cars
    BMW 325Ci
    i've used this before and it holds up well. it lasted over a year in my lexus.
    however, it wasn't as supple as i wanted it to be. especially since i used the patching putty.

my question is, has anyone ever tried doing a different color? i am interested doing my interior in white...you think that will cover over the tan?

My Cars
    Looking......
    thanks man

My Cars
    Looking......
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kwiq
    i've used this before and it holds up well. it lasted over a year in my lexus.
    however, it wasn't as supple as i wanted it to be. especially since i used the patching putty.

my question is, has anyone ever tried doing a different color? i am interested doing my interior in white...you think that will cover over the tan?
    i think it will be tuff dying anything white that isn't already white. i know tan is a lighter color and if it worked, that would be the color to do it with but i would think it would be tuff.

My Cars
    vhg
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kwiq
    It should, you will just need to do a few more coats then normal as it is harder to go from a dark color to a lighter color.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    OK, here's my question -

My driver's side seat has some wear on the left side bolster on the back portion of the seat. It's worn down so it's not smooth anymore, almost like a alcantara feel. What can I do to fix this before I dye it?

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    05 Magnum (HEMI)/95 325
    those look great! i love that color.

My Cars
    '14 Tacoma & '88 300e
    Holy jesus that is incredible !! I think I might just have to do this now. One question tho, how do they feel? Are they hard and scratchy or soft like normal?

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    was the $40 kit only good for two seats and two armrests? you didn't touch your rear seats?

My Cars
    vhg
    Quote Originally Posted by Inv3ctiv3
    Holy jesus that is incredible !! I think I might just have to do this now. One question tho, how do they feel? Are they hard and scratchy or soft like normal?
    Well both seat bottoms were already a mess and the outer bolsters were firm from the beginning, the center part is still soft, not as soft as normal but we will see how they feel after throwing on some conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbullet
    was the $40 kit only good for two seats and two armrests? you didn't touch your rear seats?
    Right, did not touch the backseats and still had a little less then half an 8oz bottle left.

My Cars
    E90 M3, S54 Clown shoe
    interested
    can one dye something like a darker color to the natural tan? I want better seats but color matched to my interior.
    Last edited by LittleBlueBMW; 12-19-2005 at 10:28 PM.

"If you go backwards through the Pearly Gates in a giant fireball, that's a cool way to die." -Richard Hammond

My Cars
    2017 340i
    omg thats awesome, nicely done

My Cars
    '73 Bavaria
    WOW!!!! THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!! Great job, dude!!!
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast