Thread: Instrument cluster is pissing me off! (dark spots)

My Cars
    2006 325i, 97 M3 for sale soon

Instrument cluster is pissing me off! (dark spots)

I came out one night after leaving the car sitting outside for a few days and the "80" on the speedo, the "4" on the tach, and parts of the temperature level were not illuminated at night.

I did a search, turns out the glue behind the cluster gets loose. General consensus is that you have to press the gauge cluster down really hard where the numbers were dim.

Tried it and it worked to some degree. Left the car out in the sun again and the dark spots came back!

This really sucks-- this should really REALLY not happen on a BMW. I wonder if bmw would count it as a dead pixel display and would goodwill the part.

My Cars
    95 M3 Hellrot S50 3.0
    Three words - "buy used cluster"
    1995 M3 Hellrot S50 3.0 186K, 540 HFM, Euro airbox, TMS Perf chip, Understeer SSK, REMUS exh, Bilstein Sports, Mint Black Vaders, JT-Designs underpanel, UUC Delrin clutch bushings - sold 2006

2008 Chev Hybrid Black on Black and a baby girl!

2002 Chev Tahoe black - sold 2009
    CLK430 black on black ragtop - gone ..sigh...
    03 M3 SMG titanium all Dinan'ed out - gone..sigh...
    02 M3 - gone
    99 911 - gone
    (2) 325's 92,93 - gone, gone gone....

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    yep, then swap out the discs

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    what do you mean exactly by swapping out the discs?

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    depending on the year; the speedo, tach, fuel temp & gas gauge are actually inserts in the shape of a disc.

swap them out.

-Ron

My Cars
    '95 Avus M3a
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter
    depending on the year; the speedo, tach, fuel temp & gas gauge are actually inserts in the shape of a disc.

swap them out.

-Ron
    Swap out, yes, but no need to buy a new used cluster in this instance.

I just changed my original black disc to a white one (produces white gauge effect), so the stock one is now available if you're interested.

My Cars
    97 Morea Green 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter

swap them out.

-Ron

Doing that would be a nightmare!!!! I have had this same exact problem on my car. I've pulled my cluster out probally 5 or 6 times to fix the dreaded dim spots. I have pulled it out enough times were I can fix dim spots in less then 30 minutes, lol

The best way to fix it is to take the cluster out when its been in the hot all day and then press on the spots. The adhesive is extremely soft at that point. You will need to press hard and hold this, and repeat it until your fingers hurt, justmake sure you are supporting the opposite side so you dont damage anything, A broken cluster would be a p.i.t.a.

It sucks, but I've got the hang of it. I used to have dim spots on my 80km, and 120km mark, and a spot or two on my tach, and my fuel guage. talk about ugly

After doing it a few times, it looks much better now.

My Cars
    what else, M3 ;)
    can anyone clarify or perhaps take a pic? I don't understand where exactly I should "press down on".

My Cars
    1976 Toyota Landcruiser
    if i were to get a new "backing" (like just say the gray ones from a e46 m3) would that also cure the dark spots?

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colicious
    if i were to get a new "backing" (like just say the gray ones from a e46 m3) would that also cure the dark spots?
    e46 faces won't fit in an E36 cluster.

My Cars
    97 Morea Green 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterM3
    can anyone clarify or perhaps take a pic? I don't understand where exactly I should "press down on".
    Once you have the cluster apart, you are pressing on the spots that are dim or dark.

My Cars
    97 M3, 02 4runner
    this is happening on my car also. the 80mph part and 4k rpm are dark. at first i thought it was bulbs but i guess its the glue. will try this tomorrow after its been in the sun. hope it works!!

should i be pressing from behind or in front? do i need to remove the glass? i am also confused on where i should be pressing down on..

My Cars
    97 M3, 02 4runner
    mkacain your cluster looks really bright! alot brighter than mine! especially the needles. are you using different bulbs? if so what kind!?

My Cars
    Lots o' m3s
    Someone posted a DIY fix a few weeks back on here (which was linked to m3forums) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ght=dark+spots
    SOLD -A dozen ///M3s of all shapes

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    I got tired of my cluster going dark, but I took a different route. I bought a set of these and actually like them quite well. Just make sure you align them very carefully, if they are off be even a half mm it will be noticeable.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks for that link.
    Never had this problem, but bookmarked the diy.
    Have you asked a mod to sticky in the FAQ?

My Cars
    97 M3, 02 4runner
    yes! thanks for the link. awesome DIY.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr
    Have you asked a mod to sticky in the FAQ?
    I would have done it already if he posted the DIY here and not a link to a non affiliated forum.

If he's willing to edit his thread and put all the content here, I'll be more than happy to put it in the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.