Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kosei K1 being discontinued

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2008 Ford F250 PSD

Kosei K1 being discontinued

Maybe not exactly breaking news, but Tirerack is getting one more shipment in mid March & then that's it.

What other inexpensive, lightweight rims are out there in 17x8.5 or 17x9? Are there any similar 18's that people are using? I do have one set of Kosei's and have another set ordered to cover myself for a while.
    Craig Lippe1998 M3 Coupe IP #66

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Yah I heard about this. Im really iritadet, as I wanted a set of these and Im not sure if i can get the funds in soon enough.
    For Sale, E36
    92-95 Non M Airbag-$50
    21.5# injectors(50k miles)-$60
    Crystal Clear 4 door corners-$20
    Grey 2dr C Pillars covers-$30
    Grey Sunvisors-$30
    Grey Sunroof Motor cover-$10
    Grey Sunroof trim peice-#10

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=566229

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Perhaps Mr. Clay can use this opportunity to get the Team Dynamics folks to make 8.5 and 9" wide wheels instead of just the 17x8s.

So my used Koseis all of a sudden are worth more, hmmm...

The IFGs that were 17x9 also went belly up but you can still find a set of these here and there (also cheap and lightweight).

-Carlos.

My Cars
    BMW M3 LTW
    I would be weary of getting a set or multipe sets of a discontinued wheel for track/race because of the chances of having to replace a single unit alone and not having the part readily available.
    Sunir
    M3 LTW
    #22 HP

My Cars
    BMW
    Team Dynamics do make 17x9 wheels...they just released it and you can special order them...but its not as light as others...i think they told me approx. 20lbs each.

The Pro Race 1 is about 1lb lighter than the Pro Race 1.2
    so if they can make the 17x9 in Pro Race 1, then possible 19lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by clopez95m3
    Perhaps Mr. Clay can use this opportunity to get the Team Dynamics folks to make 8.5 and 9" wide wheels instead of just the 17x8s.

So my used Koseis all of a sudden are worth more, hmmm...

The IFGs that were 17x9 also went belly up but you can still find a set of these here and there (also cheap and lightweight).

-Carlos.
    Franklin Joseph

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2008 Ford F250 PSD
    Quote Originally Posted by sunir
    I would be weary of getting a set or multipe sets of a discontinued wheel for track/race because of the chances of having to replace a single unit alone and not having the part readily available.

That's why I ordered 6 instead of 4
    Craig Lippe1998 M3 Coupe IP #66

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    ASA AR1s come in 17x9. Not as light as K1s. Price isn't too bad.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    What about a cheap/light/durable (I know, I can have two of the three) 18x8.5 or 18x8 wheel? I might go down the slicks road eventually and I can get a better selection in an 18" tire.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    BMW M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko
    What about a cheap/light/durable (I know, I can have two of the three) 18x8.5 or 18x8 wheel? I might go down the slicks road eventually and I can get a better selection in an 18" tire.

krisko you should take advantage of the slicks in CM, along with the lexan and composite panels etc...with weight savings as a focus!
    Sunir
    M3 LTW
    #22 HP

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by sunir
    krisko you should take advantage of the slicks in CM, along with the lexan and composite panels etc...with weight savings as a focus!
    That's about it...everything I'm doing now has an eye towards getting active in CM. If the windshield cracks, I'm going lexan, if I bend the hood or trunk I'll go CF. Slicks are a big part of that but for now I'm happy running DOT's in GTS Challenge.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko
    You're gonna want a 9" wide wheel for any of the slicks you'll be using. You'll most likely run a 250 under a stock fender. It will be pinched on an 8 or 8.5.

The BBS RK is a good option.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    So can I get away with an 8.5" wheel? I found a set for sale in the wheel classifieds.

My Cars
    The approved wheel sizes for a Dunlop 250/640R18 are 9.0-10.5. Optimum recommended size is 9.5. You COULD run the 235/640R18 on an 8.5 inch wheel (bare minimum), but I think you'll find they overheat on you.

Recommended size for a Yoko 230/650R18 is 9, so you could probably run 8.5...but again, that tire might overheat on you, especially since you are running fairly heavy right now. You'll probably need at least their 250/650R18, which is recommended to go on a 10" wheel, but will just barely work on a 9.

Our front wheels are 9.5 and the 250's from Yoko and Dunlop fit perfectly on them. Something as skinny as a 8.5 would be a bad idea IMO unless you were running in a class that restricts wheel width.

My Cars
    Denali's and CM Project.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts
    You're gonna want a 9" wide wheel for any of the slicks you'll be using. You'll most likely run a 250 under a stock fender. It will be pinched on an 8 or 8.5.

The BBS RK is a good option.
    Bryan, what is opinion of the BBS RK vs. the SSR Comp? I am seriously considering a purchase of 18 x9 wheels in order to run a large BBK as well as slicks down the road. Currently, using Forgeline 17x9s and I love them. My offset is 40 right now with a 15mm spacer in front, would the RKs be the same setup?

Scott

My Cars
    I don't have any experience with the BBS other than folks who use them saying they are a good combination of weight/strength/price...i.e. a good value. My only experience with SSR's is on my old street car and my Miata (15"), so I don't know much about them either.

I think the BBS are cheaper? At least that's what I remember from comparing similiar sizes on Tire Rack in the past. And I keep hearing rumors that SSR is a struggling company?

My Cars
    Denali's and CM Project.
    Why? Someone mentioned that they *may* be having financial trouble, but I did not hear that wheels are in short supply. Please elaborate.

My Cars
    I remember seeing someone post that they had filed for bankruptcy and linked to a page indicating so, but I lost track of it as I had no reason to follow up. I agree, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I like the look of the SSR's better. I like the price of the RK's better.

My Cars
    Denali's and CM Project.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRiley
    Why? Someone mentioned that they *may* be having financial trouble, but I did not hear that wheels are in short supply. Please elaborate.
    What happened to Gant's post that my statement above was in response to? Strange....

My Cars
    2015 M4
    I deleted it. I figured you were referring to the BBS wheels, since the SSR's are NLA.
    Chris
    DrVanos.com

My Cars
    07 yeller Cayman S, 05 Nissan Titan
    SSR got bought by Tanabe about a year ago after filing for bankrupcy. My understanding is that they haven't produced any wheels since for the US, but they are supposed to start back production this spring.

OZ Ultraleggera is another good choice in 18X9" size. Light and strong.

If there is enough interest, I can see about getting a couple of sets of the Team Dyamics 17X9" wheels imported as there is a container about to ship to the US soon.

Bill

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Bryan-

Where can you find 17x9 BBS RK's that come in an offset that fits E36's?

I can state for a fact that 17x8 BBS RK's with offset of either 35 or 40 are now discontinued and unavailable in North America. I had several spokes crack on two of my RK's and BBS NA warranty struggled for some time just to find 2 wheels to exchange. Also, RK's are no longer shown anywhere on the BBS site.

I'd love to get my hands on a set of TD PR1.2's in 17x9. I've been very happy with the TD wheels for the Mi-otter. Hopefully demand will be high enough that they'll be relatively cheap.

My Cars
    I've been following all this stuff too while wheel shopping. All the good choices are leaving the market it seems so I snatched a set of K1s recently.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ceegeezM3
    I deleted it. I figured you were referring to the BBS wheels, since the SSR's are NLA.

What? SSR is NLA too?

CCW guys, competitive pricing, rebuildable if you happen to bend a rim half,
    reasonably light, perfect backspacing/offset.

-John

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    Yeah, I heard about this too. I picked up two spare 17x8.5 K1's from Tirerack a few months ago. I might buy another two just to have two full sets. I also have a set of SSR Comp 17x8.5's so I should be set with three sets of track wheels.

My Cars
    323iT
    Just got off the phone with tirerack and whoever I spoke to confirmed that the Kosei K1 is discontinued. He said they don't have any in stock, and they don't plan on having any more. The website says "expected 3/10/06" or something to that effect so I'm hoping the guy on the phone just didn't know. This is disappointing news for me as I had my heart dead set on Koseis.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast